About the Exercises at EnglishVocabularyExercises.com
This website features over 750 gap-fill exercises to learn and review over 2000 items of General vocabulary and Academic vocabulary in English. Gap-fill exercises are an excellent way to practise vocabulary in different contexts and can be used to broaden the student's understanding of the range of meaning of vocabulary. The online format of the exercises allows students to get immediate feedback on their answers.
- The site is intended for ESL students from an intermediate to advanced level.
- The academic vocabulary is vocabulary which appears in the Academic Word List.
- For ease of use, the "General" English vocabulary words have been grouped into various categories.
- For the categories that include lots of items, the words are further divided into groups of 14 to 17 words.
- Each group of words appears in 5 different gap-fill exercises.
- Some of the exercises include different derivations (the verb, noun, adjective, and adverb forms + variants) for the words given.
- Ideally, students should work through the five exercises for each group before going on to the next group.
Useful Vocabulary Links
Gerry's Vocabulary Teacher
Gerry's Vocabulary Teacher is a software program developed for teachers of English and English as a Second Language. The program features a vast collection of sentences in context that teachers can use to simply and quickly produce gap-fill exercises for reviewing, reinforcing, and testing vocabulary. A demo can be downloaded from the site. The program can also be purchased through the site. This software is both PC and Mac compatible.
The General Service List
The General Service List (GSL) is a list of 2,000 words chosen to be of the greatest use to learners of English.
The Academic Word List
The website of Averil Coxhead, creator of the Academic Word List, at Victoria University of Wellington.
Note to Teachers
All the exercises featured in this website were produced using Gerry's Vocabulary Teacher. The program is a vast collection of sentences in context that teachers can use to simply and quickly produce gap-fill exercises for reviewing, reinforcing, and testing vocabulary. The program provides a list of keywords, each of which is linked to a number of sentences that illustrate how the word is used. The user can search and edit these sentences and add more keywords or sentences of their own. And with a couple of mouse clicks, users can choose a sequence of sentences and build them into a complete language exercise. This software is currently compatible with a PC only.
This program creates exercises that are suitable for students of English or English as second-language from an intermediate to advanced level. Teachers can use the program to review and reinforce vocabulary, create tests, and more. Students can work on their vocabulary by reviewing words in context, or they can create random word gap exercises to test their knowledge of new vocabulary.
The program comes complete with an enormous database of English language usage—more than 50,000 sentences illustrating over 2,500 keywords. It is an excellent resource for teachers and students: teachers can use it to create illustrations and exercises around English words, and students can use it to test and improve their word-power. In total, the program consists of over 750,000 words in sentences in context.
The words show a minimum of 15 contexts each, including the following, where possible:
- Derivations (different parts of speech)
- Proverbs from different cultures
- Quotations from the famous and not-so-famous
- Facts about countries around the world
- Interesting trivia
- Facts about the world's animals
- General history facts
- Facts and quotes from the world's major religions
- Discussion questions
- "Find someone who" questions
...all featuring the word under study.
For more information on program features and purchasing details, or to download the demo, visit our website at www.cpr4esl.com.